Sunday, July 18, 2010

Updates

FOC: Going fine. Some last minute stuff, but still, working out.

Ministry: Some discouragements. Trust God. Will work out.

NS Book Project: God's been granting an increase in volume. It's instinctive to credit our calling up of people and persuasion, but I know that's not true. God's provided. When I prayed less, the contributions trickled in. When I prayed more, it increased. Thanks guys for writing!

Life in general. Can't say much. A blog is often a place to rant, yes. But Ephesians 4:29 says it all.

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that they may benefit those who listen.

So I'm sometimes thinking. The words that come out of my mouth; are they going to build others up? The things I write; will they edify others or draw them into negative thinking. Perhaps I don't speak as well as I would like to at times. But often (not 100% successful though), I just find myself keeping quiet these days. The reason being that I can't find anything positive to say; things that will build others up. It frustrates me that I have nothing to say. It frustrates me because sometimes I just feel like venting my anger on people, or on this blog.

But ultimately, Proverbs 11:12 says "A man who lacks judgement derides his neighbour, but a man of understandng holds his tongue."

And again, in Proverbs 10:19 "When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise."

Dale Carnegie speaks of Abraham Lincoln in one of his books. (Dale Carnegie writes secular books.) My mom made me read the book when I was younger. Glad she did. Carnegie says that Abraham Lincoln once wrote a letter reprimanding one of his generals in the civil war. This general was on the brink of victory, and all he needed to do was to have crossed a river to defeat the trapped Confederate Army. Yet for some strange reason, the general had decided to set up a defensive position where he was when he could have crushed the enemy.

This letter was never sent out. It was found in Abraham Lincoln's desk (after his passing, if I remember correctly).

And what a good practice for us- this modern day, email-sending, blog-ranting generation. What a fantastic suggestion, if only we can hold our peace for one more day. I've applied it to myself many times. And so often, when my mind is clearer and I am in a less distraught state the next day, I re-open the unsent email or unposted blog piece, and thank God I didn't send it out.

Last time this happened was the week before. So glad I didn't send out an email.

That's all for now.

And tomorrow (later today, rather- It's 0020 HRS), is my last day of work. YAY.