Tuesday, July 13, 2010

An interesting argument

There is a certain argument that goes like this:

When we make children do actions in praise and worship, the idea is that first we break the body. So when they are able to physically do actions in Praise and Worship, then we'll be able to let their hearts get into the correct attitude of worship. So in other words, we teach our children to worship from the outside-in.

I think that it is very good that so many of our worship leaders teach our kids to do actions and raise their hands in worship. Encouraging our young ones to freely worship is definitely positive. I think that our worship leaders have been mostly correct in all they've done.

I refer exclusively and specifically to this argument of breaking the body first. I'm doing so because I don't want anybody to come into Praise and Worship with an incorrect understanding of why we do actions, encourage our children to sing loudly... etc.

An outside-in approach. I am fully against it because my bible says in 1 Samuel 16:7 that "the Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart". Indeed, in children's Praise and Worship (or all Praise and Worship, for that matter), we should teach our kids that God looks at their hearts. That first they praise God from the heart and second they let it show in their physical bodies. It is of no pleasure to God to dance before Him when the heart is not worshipping.

My bible says in Psalm 8:2 that "From the lips of children and infants you have ordained praise because of your enemies, to silence the foe and the avenger". NLT says "You have taught children and nursing infants to give you praise". As the Holy Spirit ministers to our children, won't God Himself teach them how to worship? All we do in Praise and Worship is to teach our children to worship in Spirit and in truth (John 4:21-24).

Nowhere in God's word can I find scriptural foundation for this suggestion that we should first get the children's body into the motion of worshipping God, followed by their hearts.

Need more proof?

Psalms 30:11-12. "You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with your joy, that my heart may sing to you and not be silent..."

So tell me this. Which comes first? The touch of God from the inside, beginning with the heart? Or from the outside, beginning with the dancing? And above all, are the efforts of man needed to achieve an attitude of praise?

Then of course some will always say that for very young toddlers we cannot expect them to understand how to worship God. So we simply teach them the physical movements of it. (May I remind you of Psalm 8:2. KJV doesn't use "children and infants" it uses "babes and sucklings". If we take that literally, God can teach suckling children to worship Him).

I disagree. From the very little understanding that each of us have, or from no understanding at all, the Holy Spirit can teach us how to worship. I have many more years of studying the bible than a six year old child. Yet I can quite safely say that his singing and worship is any less sweet in the ears of God than mine.

Of course, there is an age where children may not seem to understand how to worship God. Let us hypothesise that this were true. However, why should we want to teach them how to physically get into the motion of worshipping God (without the worship of the heart), if that were the case? Does the physical expression of worship without the involvement of the heart please God? And what is the purpose of worship? To please man with a disply for human eyes or to please a Creator who knows our every thought? (Psalm 139: 2). (Of course I must remind you that John the Baptist leaped in the womb of Elizabeth in Luke 1:41).

I could probably go on, arguing for ages about how worship is always an inside-out process, not outside in. But instead of doing that, let me leave an open challenge. If anyone of you still think that the outside-in approach is still correct, logical as it may sound, convince me with the word of God. Show me where in the bible such an approach can be supported. Please don't repeat some Christian-sounding argument (the type with absolutely no scriptural basis) or present a who-said-what.

Anybody want to come back on what I've just said? Pick up the gauntlet. I humbly wait to be corrected. I have thought long and hard, and I have yet to find a strong-enough biblical argument in what I am challenging.

11 comments:

Nate Cook said...

brother i strongly agree with you. i am great full to hear someone preaching truth about worship. it has been far to long. be blessed and be encouraged in your work and ministry.

tyong said...

Hey Nate. Thanks for the encouragement! Truly appreciated :)

tyong said...

Hey Nate. Thanks for the encouragement! Truly appreciated :)

郁如郁如 said...

唯有學習不已的老師,才能認真的教,唯有燃燒自己,才能點亮他人的燈............................................................

吳婷婷 said...

成功可招引朋友,挫敗可考驗朋友............................................................

李宗蓮李宗蓮 said...

你文章很棒的~繼續分享給大家~~~~............................................................

吳婷婷 said...

很精彩的部落格 期待你的繼續加油............................................................

Cens World said...

There is a theory that our mind can be conditioned when we repeatedly perform a certain action. I wish I could tell you the source but somehow I lost it along the way. At any rate, with this theory, the body could praise and on the process, the mind is conditioned to follow as well. As the mind intertwined with the body movement, so does belief follows.

I am sure your worship leaders have other answers as well. Perhaps an answer that could satisfy your curiosity. How about paying one of them a visit and try to raise your argument? Try choosing an open minded worship leader. You can go to some one who is open to different views and arguments.

I am not really a religious person. In fact, I had not opened a bible for years now. I am not an expert on this field. However, I would like to share a thought with you.

From what I know in the past, a bible is supposed to be a guide. Some believe that a bible consists of two parts: historical and symbolic. I am one of those who believe this theory. This said, taking the bible literally can confuse us. If there is anything more dangerous in reading the bible is to take it at its face value. Some times there is a deeper meaning to it that is more than meets the eye.

You have a very keen mind. A mind that could challenge even the strongest of arguments. Use it wisely.

tyong said...

Ah I see. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. :)

Teresa said...

Amen I do agree with the Word. I also want to say that praise and worship must be done moment by moment. It is amazing to see how David speaks to his soul (mind and emotions) of reminding himself who the Lord is in the midst of circumstances. There are going to be times where we don't 'feel' like praising God; but it is a MUST; the praise and worship towards our God fuels the fiery passion of faith as we focus on His beautiful face! We must preach to ourselves by the Spirit of God and praise Him...if we're not praising Him, we're praising 'something' just by default.

tyong said...

Hey Teresa, thanks for your sharing!