Sunday, June 06, 2010

How much would you give for a book?



This is William Tyndale. He lived in the early 16th century, in England. He was said to be so fluent in Hebrew, Greek, Latin, Spanish, French, Italian, English and German that if he spoke in any one of them, it seemed as though it were his native tongue.

At twelve, he enrolled in Oxford. At twenty one he received his Masters.

There was just one problem with this remarkable man. He believed in the translation of the Latin bible into English. He believed that it would be impossible for God's word to reach the people if all the land had were Latin bibles.

It is said that a clergyman once said to Tyndale: “We are better to be without God’s laws than the Pope’s”. Tyndale's reply was reportedly: “I defy the Pope and all his laws. If God spare my life ere many years, I will cause the boy that drives the plow to know more of the scriptures than you!”

For this conviction he was later burned at the stake.

His legacy? The Tyndale bible made up about ninety percent of the King James Version about a hundred years later.

The thought that entered my mind when I read this today was, "How much would I give for a book?" (Of course, I'm not expecting our book to be as great as the Bible itself).

Late night meetings with Jesh and Caleb (often starting at around 12 midnight with some sharing and prayer and ending at close to 4 a.m.- before work for me the next day) and all this appealing to people is often tiring. I think we've gone through quite a few tough moments and discouragements in these initial stages already. But so far, God has brought us through. And it's encouraging to think of all His providence.

How much would I give for the NS Book Project?

I would give in proportion to the legacy I hope it to have and the impact I pray it makes.

The reason I say "in proportion" is that God is the one who multiplies it. I can't give the full amount. But I can give "in proportion". I can give with quality and faithfulness. And I can let God bless all that I give.

2 comments:

宛妹宛妹 said...

想要推動天下,先要發動自己。..................................................

huntb said...

您的部落格文章真棒!!有空我一定會常來逛!! .........................................