Sunday, June 13, 2010

Another Week's Over

Alright. Another week's over.

Woke up on Saturday morning at 0640 HRS. Thought I'd go for a swim, so planned to eat an early breakfast and swim at eight plus. Ended up having a headache. So went back to bed and slept through most of the morning.

Then spent most of the evening and afternoon working on Crusade Freshman Orientation Camp devotionals. I'm looking forward to this camp. It's rather special because it's centred on the concept of rest and re-direction. Most camps head for other more exciting-sounding themes. But I guess this is what many of us really need?

I think it's what we need in ministry too. So many of us are so tired... Sometimes we get so proficient at our tasks that we start to use our own strength. Then we start to get tired because we're relying on our own strength. Through all this we might still meet with a few successes and get praised by others. But sometimes in ministry the point comes when we realise quite late that we are not operating out of an overflow and an anointing, but out of human strength. Strength which is ebbing away and turning into tiredness, because our own strength should never have been relied on in the first place. The time comes for rest. For even though we can operate in the spiritual at times, we are still natural mortal beings. Our God-given bodies bear very human capacities. We can't ignore the signs of tiredness and fatigue that set in. These natural indicators are as God-created and God-intended as is any other bible verse or passage. This moment demands a decision. A decision to stop there and listen and rest. Or continue in tiredness till we're utterly broken. Even then there is mercy and restoration. But it is always better to stop and rest before reaching the breaking point.
.
.
.

I think I've got a little bit of flu. But I really DON'T want to take an MC. Last night couldn't really sleep. (And here I go talking about rest eh. Yeah, I WILL sleep earlier tonight).

(Then again, each time I feel like complaining I remember my NS days. I could be falling sick. And yet I'd know that the next day I'd have to resume my duties no matter what. Taking Att C- or sick leave was quite taboo in my coy. Any commander who did that would be treated quite differently from the rest- that was the reality. To continue with my work then- even whilst falling ill, would be better than becoming an outcast of sorts).

(Or each time I board an air-conditioned bus to work and I feel kinda sian that it's yet another workday- I remember that in my unit days, I could be in an air-conditioned bus in all my military gear, travelling to some jungle and getting ready for a three or four day field camp. How thankful I should be that God has provided me a job with an air-conditioned office at the other end of the journey! For what else can be the reward of hardship? It is the bitter memory of adversity that brings sweetness to more pleasant times. Yet so many of us forget to savour this sweetness brought about by the memory of past bitterness).

.
.
.

Quite enjoyed myself with my class today during the outing. Really thank God for this class. Every year I'm blessed by my class in some way or other.

Been thinking about what to major in and also what exchanges to embark on in future.

That's all for now... Sleeping soon.