Tuesday, March 02, 2010

The physical, mental and spiritual

I wanted to type a long post. And I started. But after a glance through, I realised that it might not be doctrinally sound. It might not be encouraging. Truth is, I am rather tired right now. Another reminder from my dad not to take up too much stuff as to burn out. And I guess that that's a good reminder.

I suppose that even as we ask God for His rest and for His strength, He's also given us the human ability to sleep, to recharge, to plan our time. I would do well to remember that. In my chasing of God I need to remember that I am human. I have crucified the sinful nature; I have died to flesh. But as it is, I still compose of flesh. My flesh has its limits.

While I endeavour to serve God with all I have let me remember that:

1. It's not as if God can't do it without me. He can. He just chooses to include me in His work. It's really not for me to worry about. It's for me to enjoy. For I do believe that even if the work includes sowing in tears, godly joy can be evident throughout. 1 Thessalonians 5:16. Be joyful always.

2. God created me as a fleshly being. While I have given up the carnal nature, I am still human. God's creation is specifically designed for its own purpose. The mighty tiger has to go out to hunt its prey. It cannot lie down under the sun all its life (even though I do suppose that a delicious cat-nap- if its tinier cousins I see all around the neighbourhood are anything to go by, are one of the things it was built for). Conversely, the great oak needs to be content just where it is. It cannot pluck out its own roots and decide to move even a single foot from where it is placed. It must stay under the sun all the days of its life. And from where it stands, extend its roots out to find moisture.

The tiger is not the oak. And neither is the oak the tiger. Each has its own God-given beauty and majesty. Each has its God-intended design. If the tiger tries to live out its destiny by doing as the oak does, it will die. And the oak, if it were to be able to decide to move, would try to take just one step away from where it is, would probably break its roots and lose its source of nutrients.

Am I trying to live out another man's purpose? Or am I living out just my purpose?

3. If I become less joyful and more pressured, something is beginning to become wrong. John 10:10 declares that the God has come so we may have life in abundance. So it follows that if I have less peace or less joy, something has begun to sour. I need to check myself.

If a car's engine begins to crackle and vibrate, no sane car driver will step on the accelerator and just wish the trouble away. He will pull up his car to the side. He'll lift up the bonnet, and check what is the problem.

Sometimes it will be a process of elimination. Am I spending enough time with God? Check. Am I doing what I should in ministry? Check. ... Am I spending enough time being who I should be? Maybe not.

And then, the car driver will find the fastest way to take it to a suitable workshop. He might haggle about the price. But unless he knows any better, he will probably not have much to say against the recommendations of the master technician.

Lord. Tired leh. So how?

4. To ask for a good night's sleep is biblically sound isn't it? Psalm 127:2 says He grants sleep to those He loves. So besides simply asking for a good night's rest. I should do what God probably expects me to. To go to bed early. To rest.