Sunday, January 10, 2010

A midnight post

Alright, it's 0000 HRS as I begin to type this post. Want to sleep soon and had a rather draining day doing my best to inter alia study (biz law... etc), talk to people, meditate on God's word. (Inter alia means amongst other things... what a broad-based education we get in SMU... which has its inherent strengths and weaknesses).

But thought that I'd share a couple of thoughts that have been running through my head the last couple of days as I meditated on God's word and reflected.

But first some happenings this week with Crusade:


Adora, Daniel, Xian Jing, Mervyn and I on a roller coaster in the Croom.

Looks kinda convincing eh.

Loved the way Jump went on Friday. Treasured the fact that we could reach out to the community. That'll actually be one of my own personal focuses as well for this sem.

Some photos from Jump (that's what they call the Crusade meeting), where we went around to take pictures with people outside of the CCA.






Help help... the pillar is falling.


The More Serious Thoughts


1)




Was helping myself to what is a portion of the prodigious amount of fruits I consume on a daily basis (a habit I've picked up since young- which makes me healthier and err... bowel movement easier). That was when I saw a little brownish bump on an apple. I tried to just cut off that part alone. Then I realised that the rot was a lot deeper than what I'd originally expected. Cutting the apple open confirmed my suspicions of a rotten apple.

Sometimes the apple looks so good on the outside. But it's rotting deep inside.

"... He (which is God) will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of men's hearts." -1 Corinthians 4:5

Every apple that is in my home looks like it is good to eat. But whether or not it really is can seldom be seen from the outside. Yet every rotten apple will surely be discovered. One day, teeth will sink into it, or it will be sliced open. And then it's rottenness will be made apparent.


I'm reminded of how we can decay as chosen people. Sometimes it's a sinful desire or practice that we allow to linger. Sometimes it is an anxiety that we do not hand over to God. Sometimes it is a thought, a emotional scar even, or unforgiveness. Just as rottenness must start at some point and spread, so we start at some point in the rottenness of our hearts. And if we do not hand it over to God at an early stage, it will spread. God can still take it out, if we surrender it to Him (well, before it takes us out, that is), but the longer we wait, the more painful it will definitely become.

I was considering the way I live my own life. The areas of compromise and regret that I've had in the past on so many areas. The present multitude of my imperfections. And I just told God that "Lord, look. The buck stops here." I do "not want to postpone holiness in all areas and total surrender to a later date. There will be no end.

Perhaps a reflection I typed in September 2009 but never put up on my blog is better phrased.

"Ultimately what matters at the end of the day is whether I honour God or not. How much do I really trust God to bring me through? That I will obey all His laws at the cost of my pride, my success, my image? Will I run the full race or will I give the Almighty only half my heart?


There are many times that I was not totally (right before God) in the army.


I do not want to end university, graduate and reflect at that point that I was not totally (right before God) in university. There can be no further excuse.


The buck has got to stop somewhere. I cannot forever be making excuses. I cannot hide from the Lord. And some day, I will not be able to hide from men too. 1 Corinthians 4:5 “... He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of men’s hearts”


The summary question? Which do I fear more? Men, circumstances, trials and tribulations? Or the flash in the eyes of the Lion of Judah?"

2)


Amongst other things. I've been praying for wisdom regarding time management. But as I prayed, something occurred to me. (Correct me if I'm wrong and if you love me). Good and wise time management is not when we are able to squeeze the most number of things into our lives. It is when we put in just the right amount of activities into our lives that the Maker desires. And when He is our first priority and the other priorities are arranged in a way that pleases Him.

3)
Just another note on life and death.
"If any man builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, his work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each man's work. If what he has built survives, he will receive his reward. If it is burned up, he will suffer loss; he himself will be saved, but only as one escaping through the flames" -1 Corinthians 3: 12-15
When the day comes revealing the quality of my God-given work on this earth. Then will what I have built for God stand?
4)
Alright, something happy. Had my new batch of Primary 6s today and really enjoyed time spent with them.
Met Carissa, Si En, Cheryl outside Fellowship Hall. Good to still see my Sec 1s around. Kinda miss them leh. Haha. But they are on to greater things!

Also, Carissa, thanks and am honoured by the message.
Enjoyed a quick but wonderful time with Enos and Jesh over lunch today.
Caleb came over with Aaron and some friends to collect the potted plants... Heh must state here to claim some credit for my grandma's green fingers... in anticipation of posts that will come up regarding the plants on his blog and how well they've grown.

Okay, that's all for this day. Later today... TWC and AS. Then study study study, cuz when the VBC (or is it VBS) week comes... well then at least I'll be able to make time for it. I'd like to.

No comments: