Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Another post

So here I am thinking what to post at this juncture. I'm not quite certain. But certainly, I would say I'm living out the result of me asking for wisdom. I think it's both ways that God can teach wisdom. It can come from let's say, like Solomon and God GIVING him wisdom just like that. Or it can come from trials and the like. Which, let's just say is what I'm facing.

Happenings

Sunday at church was good. It was a good time of catching up with bros and sis. And the curry was wonderful. A pity I got the bread too late. Aunty Cindy said to get it from Cold Storage and Caleb and I walked over. But Cold Storage ran out, unfortunately, and we had to get the french loaves from another bakery. Was a lil burnt I guess.

After that went with Jon Tay, Joseph, Dexter, Clara Ying to eat a little bit of stuff. Watched Clara eat at a certain place where ahem... the hygiene was questionable.

... then went to Treats for grass jelly. Then went to Caleb's grandma's place. Had dinner.

Of course time with the Pri 6s was well spent. Quite happy to have shared my faith twice this past week. And one of that was to a visitor to my class. This week I have yet to though.

Yesterday celebrated Chris' birthday in school. Then had lunch with TWC mates. Part of my new policy of reaching out to non-Crusade people.

And oh, I went for a 9 to 10 klick run this morning! Sooo glad. Been some time since I've done this. So I truly enjoyed every single moment of the run. Felt so awake and all, up till about 6p.m. I think. Could still pay attention in class.

Reflections and Lessons

Have been spending a lot more time on things I'd consider to be honourable to God. And haven't been able to spend that much time studying as before. Yet I'm doing my best. Some time ago I took out movies in the cinema, at least for now. I took out computer games as well, though it is, once in a while, a struggle. I don't watch tv except for news once in a while. There are times when I wonder whether it's too much discipline on myself.

Yet the reason I often think about things this way lies in Matthew 5:29-30. Let me put it here.

If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go to hell.

The question I often ask myself is why I am so extreme in many things. Yes, I acknowledge that that are matters which I could improve on. It's not always zero-sum, yes. But then again, if we are called to cut off even things that matter so much, the right eye and right hand. Then, perhaps, radically cutting off things that will not benefit my walk with God, or my ability to honour God. Perhaps it is right? Then again, complications do arise.

Yet another piece of scripture I've been meditating on is 1 Kings 17:7-24. It speaks of the widow in Zarephath of Sidon. And Elijah was sent to her. He asked her for bread. And she replied that all she had was a handful of flour and a little bit of oil, and that she was going to make one last meal for her son and herself, before they were to starve to death. Well, Elijah told her to make bread for him first. And that the flour and oil would not run out till the day rain would be sent.

Elijah used to be my favourite bible character. It's still one of my favourites. My mom used to tell me that I was quite like Elijah, because of the emotional stuff. He liked to cry and all, just like me, she said. And yup, I did concur. - If you don't already know I used to cry a lot. Mom said that if I were a dragon (born in year of the dragon mah), I'd be a water dragon because of the tears.

On to the point. This scripture reminded me of something important. That as we obey God and honour Him first, He will provide. Look, the widow was in a desperate situation. She was prepared to starve to death. Yet out of that desperation came obedience. And by obeying, and giving up all she had left to survive on, she was saved by flour and oil that did not run out. Wow.

So it's a challenge to me. I like the way Matthew 6:33 puts it, in NLT:

"and He will give you all you need from day to day if you live for Him and make the Kingdom of God your primary concern."

Yup, was sharing this with Jesh and he was like telling me that it's quite the same as the NIV. But I just love the way it's phrased here. "Live for Him" and "primary concern", as juxtaposed to "seek first His Kingdom". (Then again, the word righteousness in KJV, NIV and NASB, that is another dimension altogether.)

Yup, so a challenge... and back to studying for this sem.

No comments: