Thursday, December 10, 2009

Agape!



This board was designed and created by Jeshua Chong, Gavin and yours truly. Caleb pencilled the outline of the heart.
I’ve been really blessed by the Lord in this camp and enjoyed so much of His favour. It is just as Daniel 9:18 says: “We do not make requests of you because we are righteous, but because of your great mercy.” God has been so good to me and answered my prayers and fulfilled my needs, “immeasurably more than all (I) ask or imagine” (Ephesians 3:20).


I’ve been praying for God to take control of this camp for months. (Though to be entirely honest, I could have been more consistent in praying for it.) If we were really to think about it, God has been faithful to all of us. Even though so many of us failed Him time and time again throughout this year, He still came and touched the children’s lives so much during this camp. He still chose to work through our lives as teachers and minister to our kids.

It has been a blessing to create the devotions and communicate God’s love and God’s greatness to teachers in this camp. As I look at the consecration night, and the devotions and all, I know that I could not have done it. It is the Lord who was working through His own word to convict and impress and encourage and change. It was the Holy Spirit in our midst.

I’ve been so encouraged talking to so many of the teachers in camp. So encouraged by Caleb as he led the camp as chairman. So encouraged by Daniel Li, Jeshua, James Ow Yong. The various ways that God used them in camp. And it crossed my mind so many times. That Lord, you’re just such an awesome God, look at all the people you’ve raised up to serve you! I’ve also been deeply encouraged by the way Charis served as a co-leader in camp. She stayed up late to write letters and all to the kids. Very moved by how Jon Lim has grown as a person. Also Tim Ong. And then so glad to see Joel and Chris and Joyce being blessed in this camp.


This is Caleb. He's well... he's uh... posing.


See? Charis and I stayed up till 4a.m. to get this done! But apparently Nadine's one can't be found now... aww. Hopefully she took it home herself. Here are the names of all 9 kids in the group. Luke Ng (Trent's bro! Who behaves so much like Trent... makes me think that that was probably how Trent was like 7 years ago.), Gabriel Goh (who is such a funny, uninhibited and spontaneous guy), Gabriel Low (very sporty!), Wei Zi (Enos and I call him my Best Recruit. It's such a bundle of joy taking Wei Zi) and Joel Yak (who really encouraged me by his growth in this camp), Nadine (Cheryl Ying's friend and also a very intelligent young lady), En Qi (quiet in front of me but obviously very smart), Victoria (who exudes a very winsome and sweet personality) and Si Li (who was in my group for last year's camp as well! And was so so glad to see her come for this camp. She's certainly matured a lot since I took her for camp last year). "Dikim" is our group name, which means "love" in the Kurdish tongue.

Was so moved to see so many teachers and children touched in times of anointing during this camp. Was so humbled by all that the Lord did. Was also so thankful to God for touching my Pri 6 kids in this camp. This is one group of people that I've been so blessed and privileged to have worked with and served this year. Ben, Carissa, Cheryl, Jing En, Nathaniel, Si En and Ting Wei came for camp. I was so glad to see God move in their lives for this camp.


For my kids from Pri 6 2nd Praise.

I want to talk about what God has done in my life during this camp.

I received from God lessons and benefited from long talks with many people in this camp. But here are the moments I need to engrave in stone and never forget.

On Tuesday I spent a fair amount of time praying to God for His anointing. In Mark 10:13-15 it’s written that people brought their little children to Jesus to have him touch them. And Jesus was indignant when his disciples rebuked them. It just made me reflect on how we as teachers need to have the passion to bring our children to God to have Him touch them. And that was the cry of my heart at that moment. That “Lord, come and touch our children in this camp!” I also knew that when the Holy Spirit came He was not going to overlook the teachers. For we too are His children. He does not care for us any less than before simply because we have grown older.

It was such a privilege to see God move in the lives of the children on Tuesday night. Such a privilege to witness the teachers gathering in prayer and the Holy Spirit come as we asked of Him. As Caleb said, it is when we focus on God that we’ll really see the difference.

My children were so touched by God on Tuesday night. Wei Zi was crying as he felt God’s presence. Joel Yak felt someone touching his shoulder and also heard someone calling his name twice- to which I asked him why he didn’t apply the morning devotion on Samuel saying “speak Lord for your servant is listening”. The girls- Victoria, Nadine, En Qi and Si Li all felt the presence of God and cried too- though they all tried to hold back their tears (and I got the chance to explain to them more about simply letting go of personal inhibitions to experience God’s presence). Nadine was saying that at first she didn’t want to shed tears but when she saw that Wei Zi was crying- then she thought it was okay to cry. Haha.

For myself, I felt quite un-prayed for. Even as I went around praying for people, I asked God for people to pray for me. I asked Jon Lim to pray for me and his prayer was quite good and specific to this need; the Lord probably showed him how to pray.

There was one part that really showed me the extent to which God cared for me. That was Wednesday morning. As Darius told the teachers to kneel as the children came forward to pray, God spoke into my heart. And He told me that He was going to use some children to speak to me. That He was going to use people I didn’t expect to in this camp to minister to me. At that moment I wasn’t even sure if I was hearing right, but I was just telling God, “all right man!”.

The children who prayed for me. They touched on areas in my life that I’ve been praying to God for months. They covered areas involving ministry, evangelism, future career and so on. And I didn’t even tell these kids what I needed prayer for. It just brought me to tears. That God cared so much for me. That He chose to show me His love through the children in ministry that I’ve been loving. That really touched my heart.

Wei Zi prayed for me and for business and that God would give me a good career- he may not have known it but that was one thing I really needed to hear. I’ve been telling God that I want to go where He sends me in future for my career path. And that I don’t have the faintest clue what it is but I just want to keep serving Him even now. And Wei Zi, this Primary 4 child, probably without knowing it, prayed a blessing so specific into this area of my life. For career, that I would use my money to build the church, that my life would be blessed.

Gabriel Goh and Gabriel Low prayed. I recall that they were praying about things in regard to ministry to children. I just felt the love of God flowing through them, especially for Gabriel Low as he hugged me. It’s one thing to be commended by a fellow teacher for loving the children. It is something so much greater when the child returns the love sincerely. You see, I’d been talking to God about my service in CM. And telling Him that I needed a passion for this ministry once again. That He put me there and told me that my ministry was to children. And that I would remain faithful, but I needed Him to supply my needs.

Nadine, from Pri 6 1st Praise came to pray for me. I know she didn’t know my name. But her prayer was very specific towards the area of evangelism. I’ve been praying for the area of evangelism in my life, which is quite clearly lacking. And I’ve been praying to be able to tell more people on campus about my Lord Jesus. And then up comes Nadine and she prays that God will help me to tell the people around me about Him. And it’s a near paraphrase of what I often pray to God. I’m so humbled by that. And I just told Nadine that she prayed the right thing and that God was using her.

Benjamin, my Pri 6 kid, came to lay his hands on me too.

Of course, a little sad that Victoria said she felt God telling her to pray for me and she didn’t do it in the end. But when she said that I was just so grateful to God for impressing on the children’s heart to pray for me. Felt so much like King David after God blessed him, and his attitude was “I don’t deserve all the good that you’re showing to me Lord!”. (2 Samuel 7 second half). And I must say that I don’t hold it against Victoria at all. Really still love her much as one of my kids, and I believe God will continue to speak into her life and through her life.

The visit to Dakota Crescent went incredibly smoothly, as far as I’m concerned. There were a lot of unknowns on our side but everything still flowed pretty well. It interested me to see how God always has His own plans. That sometimes, we think that we’re there to minister to one group of people, but God is interested in some people we’d not previously considered. There were a group of youth at the area. I talked to 2 of them and found out that one was attending City Harvest but considered himself a backslider. I evangelised to the other youth and he accepted Christ. I asked the City Harvester to bring one other friend to talk with me and soon I was talking to him about Christ too. And then after some explanation by this City Harvester he accepted Christ. I talked to a third guy, but he was staunch in his own religion. So 2 youth accepted Christ there. I asked them to follow the City Harvester to church.

It just showed me how the Holy Spirit can convict and touch lives when we least expect it. That we can be instruments for the Lord in ways we do not anticipate. That God can see to great things coming to pass and that we need only to yield and listen carefully.

The single greatest challenge I’m going to face at the current moment is keeping close to God and getting some proper rest before the next camp (Meta) starts during end December. What I’m really praying is that the Lord enables me and gives me the desire to live my life the way He wants in the days to come. I need to keep focused on Him.



The guys up to their usual nonsense at Dakota Crescent. Joanne Huang's driving that car. Am proud to say that I am very often a part of such nonsense. Though regretfully not for this time.

And speaking of which. Sleepover is tomorrow! I have Caleb, Jesh, Tiew, James, Enos confirmed coming as of now. Daniel Li is unconfirmed. I'm scratching my head as to where to fit all of us. Prob the living room. Heh.

No comments: