Thursday, July 16, 2009

Storms



The storms of life rocked my boat
Strong gales blew
I sought the Lord and He answered me
He delivered me from all my fears
He made my feet like the feet of a deer
And enabled me to go on the heights

The weather calmed
And I decided to refit my tiny vessel
I coated the hull with trust in God
-that would prevent any leaks
I used the words of my bible as buoyancy
-it would keep my boat afloat
I put in hours of prayer as a food supply
And renewed them daily so they remained fresh
-I would be able to outlast the longest of storms

Storms came
But not a leak was sprung
The crashing ocean waves came
Forcing me to bail water out
But my ship remained buoyant
And I wasn't scared
I was not bothered by the length of the storm
Why, I had enough to eat!

And that was how I weathered the storm

In the midst of a squall one day
I thought to myself
Why trust Him when I can trust myself?
I'd find a faster way out of the storm!
Why tire myself out with so much of the bible?
I have much better things to do!
Why spend so much time praying?
Surely I have prayed enough...

Perhaps a little less of each would do just as well...
So after the squall had ended
Upon these thoughts I promptly acted

Storms came
But not a leak was sprung
The crashing ocean waves came
Forcing me to bail water out
But my ship remained buoyant
And I wasn't scared
I was not bothered by the length of the storm
Why, I still had enough to eat

And that was how I weathered the storm
-at a much smaller cost too!
...Never mind the slightly battered boat

One bright and sunny morning
As seagulls lazily flew
And the few fluffy clouds there were
Drifted across the sky
I awoke from my slumber
I opened my bible
And found it exceedingly boring
-and concluded perhaps I'd read it more than I needed to
I pondered the decreasing fire in my prayers
And tried to pray harder
Then just gave up pressing in
-and snuggled in for an early morning snooze

Storms came
A leak or two was sprung
The crashing ocean waves came
Forcing me to bail water out
Though my ship remained fairly buoyant
I was more than a bit unnerved
The storm dragged on
And I almost starved

And that was how I weathered the storm
...Just barely

As I sat in my boat I contemplated...
Do not a man's naked fingers become numb
In the frigidness of the howling winter wind?
Perhaps the human heart was designed in kind
Such that coldness of heart
Makes one numb to God

I began to realise
We cannot have one foot jammed in the doorway of heaven
And the other toying with the pleasures of a fallen earth
We cannot live in the full joy of the kingdom of God
Unless we totally surrender

Following this world has its costs
Our hearts turn cold to God
Following Christ has its costs, too
Suffering for His name
-and being set apart from this world

A faith that costs and demands nothing of me
Is worth nothing
A faith that costs and demands everything of me
Is worth the world to me...

But wait
-did I say worth the world to me?
I would have been in error!
No, it is worth more than the world
It is worth everything
And much more than even that

I could have spent more hours ruminating
BUT THERE!

THERE over the horizon
In the eye-squinted distance
Yet another storm was looming

For the seas upon which our short lives run
Are
Never constant
Ever-changing
Merciless
Un-relenting

I reached out and opened my bible
I sat down and prayed
I trusted

I had opened myself to tender mercies
And sat down in His lap
I trusted

Then storms will come
But not a leak will be sprung
The crashing ocean waves
Will force me to bail water out
But my ship will remain buoyant
And I shan't be scared
The length of the storm will not bother me
For I will have enough to eat

And that is how I will weather the storms
To come

These are my reflections for the last couple of months. I began to write this one Saturday after YPM. I didn't put it up then because I wanted to start living it out first.
I've started.

No comments: