Friday, July 03, 2009

I went down to my new school yesterday







Yeah, went down to SMU yesterday for some admin stuff. Tried to go with friends, but had teaching in the mornings, so couldn't fix a date with anybody. So yeah, there I was alone on the campus.







Was a little confusing finding my way around. Perhaps I'm still getting used to the new school environment. The hustle and bustle of a city campus, of loud music within the building as various student organisations tried to sell their camps. So far I've signed up for the FTB (Freshmen Teambuilding - which is like Orientation), Crusade, Bondue. Didn't exactly feel like going to Bondue, which is a business camp, but I thought I'd do well to try and experience how the business fac culture in SMU is like. I would have to go in with all shields up though.








Yeah, so was just doing my admin procedure alone and having to ask my way around. And let people approach me to talk about the various activities and camps. After that sat down in the library as I waited for a talk. Took out my bible and asked God what He wanted for me in this university.




We shall see.




Of much more minor importance, I have changed the look of my blog for the first time since2005.




Ah, why is the title Stand up for Me? That's cuz in the 2008 Oligopistos camp I heard that from God, that God told me I had to "stand for Me wherever I send you". Scriptural reference Jeremiah 1:17-19: "Get yourself ready! Stand up and say to them whatever I command you. Do not be terrified by them, or I will terrify you before them. Today I have made you a fortified city, an iron pillar and a bronze wall to stand against the whole land- against the kings of Judah, its officials, its priests and the people of the land. They will fight against you but will not overcome you, for I am with you and will rescue you," declares the Lord.




The scripture I am now thinking about is Isaiah 41: 13-14...




For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, do not fear; I will help you. Do not be afraid, O worm Jacob, O litle Israel, for I myself will help you,: declares the Lord, your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel.




See, I will make you into a threshng sledge, new and sharp, with many teeth. You will thresh the mountains and crush them, and reduce the hills to chaff. You will winnow them, and the wind will pick them up, and a gale will blow them away. But you will rejoice in the Lord and glory in the Holy One of Israel.




I love the way Pastor Yonggi put it in his book (which is currently in the hands of Mr Jeshy... which presumably makes the book more well-travelled than me). I'll put it in my context.




You see, as I enter the gates of this university, I am like a worm. A worm's defenceless, helpless, easily trodden upon. Think about the biblical Jacob. A limping worm (remember God touched his leg after the wrestling?). A defencelss worm (remember Jacob was so afraid that Esau would attack him?) Yet this worm was walking beside the true and living God. And Jacob prospered. Israel prospered and waxed strong.




I am like that worm. I enter alone and by all human standards rather vulnerable. I must remember that my safety and security is not in the hands of man, nor is it in hard work per se or charm. My safety, security, assurance, strength, success. These are all in the hands of the true and living God who walks besides me as I enter these gates.




And so as I worm my way into university, let me remember that I need to keep looking to God.




No comments: