Tuesday, June 16, 2009

In a rather pensive mood

Alright, my past few days were kinda good. Saturday was at Ubin for The Calling event. Sunday hung out for dinner with Wayne, Tiew, Andrea, Jeremy, Aaron Lim. Monday morn had driving. And stayed over at Wayne's place for another round of movie marathons. Haha. Tiew knocked off the first. Followed by Wayne, leaving me to watch the last movie alone. The first movie was Dark Knight, followed by Flash Point and then Blade Trinity.

Today afternoon, watched Spiderman 3.

One question I've been asking myself is in regards to James 1:27- Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

How is it possible to be in this world, and remain unpolluted? The secular nature of modern society is something very familiar to all of us. It is apparent in the media as well. The movies I have been watching were rather worldly. The worldly view on everything, from love to friendships to violence... etc.

John 17:15-18 "My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one. They are not of the world, even as I am not of it. Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth. As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world"

So I guess that we are to remain in this world, and yet remain sanctified. Sanctified by what? Truth. Interestingly. Not sanctified by righteousness, but by truth.

You see, truth is what holds righteousness in place. Think Ephesians 6, the belt of truth first, then the breastplate of righteousness firmly in place. Without the truth, we would not know that Christ has died for our sins and removed the power of sin along with condemnation. John 8:32 says that the truth will set us free. Indeed, by familiarising ourselves and putting biblical truth to practise, we can remain righteous. We can hold ground.

So how is it possible to remain in this world and remain unpolluted? We stay righteous. We do that by first understanding and then applying the truth. The truth is that the power of sin is broken over me. And then what do I do? Hide in one corner? No, I get sent into the world. No soldier gets trained to hide per se. He is trained to fight. Any thing such as hiding or camouflage is a part of fighting. The primary purpose of a soldier is to wage war.

And I do ask myself, how well have I been living up to God's standards? How much of a war have I been waging? Have I grown complacent in my walk? Have I in any way let ego get in the way? Yes, truly, when I come to the Lord in such an attitude I get even more humbled when I realise all the areas that are lacking in my service to my King.

One thing I'm really grateful for is the fact that throughout the last few years of my life, it's more often than not been a choice regarding whether or not to get fed. What I listen to and all does not cause me to get fed much. It's really been a personal choice regarding what I want to do with my spare time. And so living in such an environment has taught me to rely on God alone. Truly, learning how to get fed yourself is a very important skill.

Lately I've been talking to many people. If it was me 2 or 3 years back I'd have tried to steer the subject towards lots of bible stuff. I guess that was not the best policy. It must have turned many people off. Yet now I somehow ponder whether what I'm talking about and doing with my buddies can be equated to leaving God out of the picture; whether I've relegated Him to the place of a constitutional monarch in my life.

It's not like I've been doing wrong things and all. I've been watching movies, hanging out, having lunch and dinner etc etc. And the talk is rather healthy stuff. Friends, interests and so on and so forth.

But it's just that when I read books such as Acts for example, what I see in my bible and what I see in my own life seem to be 2 different things at times. This should not be. Intellectually and emotively it feels rather incongruent.

I know that God is changing a lot of stuff in my life, even as I pray for His transforming power to come and make those changes. And yet time and time again I am so aware that I fall short of His standards. I am feeling a spiritual hunger and thirst.

I wryly suppose that I should actually like where all of this is going.

No comments: