Sunday, March 29, 2009

Hammock Party II

Alright, this hammock party took place on the night of 13 Mar and the morning of 14 Mar. That's Friday and Saturday before VBC.

So since Caleb asked for the picts, here they are. And I shall include an accurate (well, rather accurate) account of what is going on, before the whole storyline is changed on his blog...

Of course Zapper1988* was noticeably absent. Probably blazing blasts across the blistering sky**, with some "cursed catatonic fool"** somewhere else.

Nah, he was babysitting.***
So, James, Caleb, Lowell staying and I staying over. Aaron, Wayne dropping by to kindly resup us.


Us, walking towards the location. Apparently there's a pretty well worked out squatter settlement, so to speak, around there. 2 vagrants who were saving a space for a 3rd vagrant at the pavilion... so this time we took the bbq pit area instead.
The beginning of our approximately 15-course dinner****, lasting from 10p.m. to rougly 2 a.m.
We had about 12 types of dishes. The main cook being Caleb, who cooks rather well. I did one dish. But I have a distinctly different style. I just throw whatever I think might be nice in... and eat whatever comes out.
Oh yes. If I had been born a century earlier I am convinced I would have invented Rojak.
This time it turned out pretty good though. My dish was luncheon meat plus egg plus lots of cheese (5 slices I think) and honey.
Okay, this one is still the 2nd dish I think. Maggi noodles in campbell soup I think. Most of the food pictures are with James.
Quote of the day: Psst... Did you know that the secret of Lowell's strength is his long hair? Haha.
Caleb: Resup...
Drinking mushroom soup.
Our cooking facilities. Keeping it all simple. The whole idea is that we just sit around and talk into the early morning, while eating non-stop.
Hmm. Were just thinking. This is something we can continue with into our adulthood. Maybe bring our families in future (God-willing) along or something. Then we'd take up a whoooole part of the beach. But quite an idea man. Oh well, but so far we're only at Hammock Party II. Many more to come.
Luncheon meat! Most convenient. Oily, so no need to add more oil when frying... also pre-cooked. But unhealthy though.
Chef at work.
This is still dish no. 2.
Well, had cai xin after that, then fish, then tau pok with honey, then pork chop, then nuggets, then cheesy omelette with luncheon meat, then the same with honey, then some more noodles, I think. Hmmm. Seems like I missed out a dish or two...
Right so after that we slept. Woke up at about 8 plus a.m. for QT. Cuz besides godly, edifying fellowship and healthy fun the other purpose of hammock party is to spend some time with God.
That's James sleeping.
Lowell sleeping beside me. We're sharing the same 2 trees.
Caleb.
Okay, Quiet Time's starting.
Everyone's waking up.
Starting to remove our stuff.
Hmm. Just heard over the news that will have to apply for camping permit along the beaches... So is hammocking considered camping? My answer: NO. Well, at least that's what I think. We're not occupying any space on the beach leh. Haha. We're just occupying some air space about 50 cm above the beach!
Breakfast was chocolate cookies. Chips ahoy and something else. With hot milo, and honey water.
And then we started off with activity no. 2. The highlight of the morning. Joseph's birthday.
Caleb and I had a nice little jog to church to fetch Joseph.
Joseph getting out of car upon seeing Caleb and I: "Cough cough cough. I'm sick. I got medicine"
Caleb: "Orh ok, I'll take the medicine for you first, get changed into PT kit"
Joseph does so. Before we start, sees aunty Lynda.
Joseph, looking real sick: "Boss ah, does my voice sound funny to you?"
Aunty Lynda (getting the hint just by looking at Caleb and I): "No leh, where got?"
Joseph tries to convince aunty Lynda that he's sick. Trying to worm out of his splendid birthday party. Fails terribly. We start our jog.
He coughs all the way along the job.
So poor thing.
Academy award for best actor
Oscar Awards for best sound editing
Golden horse Awards for best male lead
Special mention in the papers. Voted by Time as the most touching motion picture of the century.
1st task complete: a run from church to the beach in front of Wayne's house.
And here's Joseph stretching after the run...
The run was just a warm-up
James activity:
James: "Do you know how blessed you are to have friends like us to celebrate your birthday? So now you must sing a happy birthday song to yourself toward the sea, because without us, there'd be no one to celebrate your birthday for you."
Joseph (is forced to sing):
"Happy birthday to me
Happy birthday to me
Happy birthday to lonely
Happy birthday to me"
Lowell's station
Lowell: "There are so many people along this beach who want to wish you happy birthday, except that they don't know it's your birthday. Go find 5 people of different races and get them to wish you happy birthday."
I must compliment Joseph on his extremely sporting attitude. I wonder if I would have done the same...
Anyway, he completed the challenges till now. Although noticeably he had stopped coughing. Haha.
Below is Caleb's station. Filling a bucket with water. Using cups with holes.
Okay. This one is already my station. Which consists of physical activity for 2 min followed by 2 min of memorizing a Psalm. Which will go on indefinitely till the Psalm is memorized.
Which of course, is extremely beneficial to Mr. Tiew. See, so welfare.
Louis the caterpillar was telling me he was so proud of Joseph for memorizing the Psalm.
Using his fingers to aid him in memorizing the psalm. Louis, Caleb, James, Lowell and I are still trying to figure out to this day how a person can possibly use all 10 fingers and then all 10 a second time to memorize a 6 verse psalm.
Louis: Sheesh. I have roughly 16 legs and yet I don't see how I can use all of them to memorize the Psalm.
Next we had the man carry the bucket of water all the way to Wayne's place. Not bad huh? Sporting, this brother of ours.
At the lift landing, Joseph presses the lift button.
ding!
Us: "Well, I know you think we're going to use the lift. But noooooo, we have to climb up to the 6th floor."
And so we climb.
6th floor.
Angela: Okay. Since it's your 20th birthday, you have to climb to the 20th floor!
Awright. Joseph can still take it!
Joseph runs. Flies, rather. Up the first flight of stairs. His garang-ness and agility after such a long work-out astounds me. My chin drops, touching the floor. Either our friend has gone crazy or he has the hidden talents of an Olympic sprinter and hurdler rolled into one. Could this be a true? Or was it just a sweet dream?
Me: Wow.
Lowell: Wow.
Caleb: Wow.
James: Wow.
And then cruel reality brings us crashing down to the ground.
Joseph starts to walk after the first flight.
Us, thinking: "Okay, well at least the poor fellow is still in his right mind. He is still himself."
Making our way up.
To the 20th floor!
Where Wayne and Angela had prepared the cake.
And where we were wondering what we'd do on Joseph's next birthday. Well, if he even decided to show up, that is.
Me whispering in to James' ear, then Caleb's: "Eh, Joseph hasn't coughed till now leh"

Me, aloud to Joseph: "Eh, Joseph, how come you never cough already?"

Joseph: "Cough cough cough"

The rest of us can't take it already. Haha.
But very well done bro! Proud of you!
Quite a nice view.
After that James, Caleb and I went off for the VBC comm meeting.
Oh well, just for interests sake. The last I knew Louis went on to become a butterfly. He wanted to know if someone had transformed as well.
Well, I smsed Louis back: "Aiyah, just wait for NS to come lor. Tell your great great great great great great great great great grandson to follow up"
Loius: "LOL"
That's all for now.
Jokes aside, thank God for Joseph. He's been a faithful servant of God in CM all this years. And been very kind to ferry us around in his car. Been a constant companion for half a decade to many of us.

*Jeshua
**His msn nic
***His reason for not coming
****Just one of the things he missed out.

No comments: