Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Life as it is

Woke up on Tuesday morning at 8a.m., feeling quite well rested. Wondered for a moment why I felt so good. Then relished the fact that waking up at 8a.m. means that I've slept for about 3 more hours than usual. Before I became a soldier, waking up at 10 plus a.m. was kinda late. Now waking up at 8a.m. is very late.

Spent much of these last 2 days at home. Was my birthday yesterday and OC was kind enough to give me off. My men. The recruits who've just made private, they're on block leave see, so I'm having a break after say 3-4 months working non-stop in camp. Much needed break. A little bit of breathing space.

Yes I'm 20 now. Man that's old. That's kinda fast, too. Army... where boys become men. So is it because of the training process, or the fact that people naturally grow out of teenage shoes to fill adult ones? A bit of both I suppose. I'm proud to be a soldier. I'm not an elite one. Neither in rank or skills. Just somewhere in the middle I suppose. I learn a lot where I am. In soldiering and people skills.

Need to book in tonight. When I'm out on Friday, will be going High Praise in church. Then going fishing at overnight.

My bunkmate in camp, Chris, he gave me his analysis on my character. Said that I like to walk away from the crowd. And that in some ways, I've grown too used to doing so. It's kinda like an instinct in me. I thought that was pretty accurate. Walking away from crowds and being different is so me. It has benefits and yet it can contain some pain.

Thank God for my bunkmates. They are Alex, Rahman, Chris. We have a lot of fun together. We have great working relationships as fellow sergeants. We trust and rely on each other. I recall all the tension in my sispec bunk, and the lack of close friends in my BMT bunk, with the exception of Julian Tay. And I really thank God that I have good bunkmates. SISPEC taught me to understand the fragility of human relationships, though. And in this respect I must be careful and not shocked when bad things happen.

Have walked so many klicks in full battle order as an infantryman that walking without load is simply enjoyable these days. Having spent many nights in the tropical jungle, I am fully able to sleep anywhere. I think one of the greatest strengths of the infantry is that adaptability is reliant on personal ability. And so once we are trained to do something or survive somewhere, little can hinder us.

In the days to come, as training intensifies, I will become even more of an infantryman.

Also been thinking bout what exactly to do after ord. Backpacking is an option that floats somewhere at the back of my mind. But I'd need to find enough rugged, reliant, willing parties. And secure parental consent (so much for the age). Then also would like to pass my driving. And perhaps try out a few different jobs. After working as a sergeant in the SAF, I feel that I could probably survive any workingplace. The pressure and lifestyle would probably be a piece of cake.

And then before I know it, I'll become a uni student. Must remember to keep my fitness up and not grow fat.

And then I'll start working life... long time from now. Tang ku ku.

1 comment:

pamela said...

Happy Belated Birthday... :)
Backpacking after you ORD sounds like a good idea. Smth i'd like to do as well, if i can, that is. New Zealand would be a really nice place, though expensive.