Monday, February 19, 2007

Fishing trip

One of the closest that I could get to the great outdoors. Pasir Ris Farmway 2. On one side you can see a couple of flats and buildings (which really kind of spoil the feel). On the other, it's more or less jungle.

I like the area for its raw appeal. No toilet facilities. No tap water. Cool.

Went there last Friday. With James Ow Yong, Caleb Lim, Aaron Lim, Jeremy Leong and Daniel Li. We didn't catch that much fish, but I really enjoyed the whole affair.

Started at about 7p.m. That's a Catfish. Given by either Caleb or Aaron. I caught a catfish and some other small variety. But it was on their lines. I merely fought with it. Well, another smart Catfish we caught got away. Jumped out of the net. Only found out the next morning.

These are the gills of the first catfish we caught. The heart (at least we thought it was the heart) was still beating after we took it out. Very interesting. (Does that make me sound sadist?)

Barbequed some fish we caught. Well, actually the uncles there helped us lots. That was dinner.

Had lime and chilli and tabasco sauce. Mmm mmm.

One of the uncles tending the fire. They even caught a piranha. We BBQed it alive.

The surrounding area's quite jungled. (By the way, the python we played with the last time had escaped by the time we paid the area another visit.) So lots of interesting stuff. This here's a monitor lizard. Skinned and frozen for 3 days. Uncles dared us to eat. So we did. In the end, it tastes pretty much like normal fish. Even the liver tastes like regular liver. Goes down well with tabasco sauce.

Disposal of bones and various inedible parts of the fish.

And these are the talons of 2 eagles that were previously caught and kept as pets. What happened to the rest of the birds? Well, they were eaten. By a boa constrictor in the area. Why didn't the talons go down the snake's gullet? They were tied up. The eagles were tied up when the snake came along, spotting a free, exotic meal. Yum yum.

Fished past 3a.m. Didn't catch a thing on this watch.

Slept a bit on the jetty. While Caleb continued to fish.

Woke up close to 7a.m. and continued fishing. Guy in yellow's Aaron Lim. To the left's a hut. If you walk all the way right, say 200m, you'll find some construction work going on. There's a 3m (I think) deep well there. 3m from the top to the water surface. Not too conspicious, so be careful not to drop in.

A friggin strong fish did bite on one of my baits in the morning. But it got entangled in another line. What a waste.

Then left at 8 plus for home. One of the best experiences ever.

No comments: